Saturday, July 5, 2014

Russian Crescent Cookies (Rogaliki)

Rogaliki are little flaky crescent cookies that are filled with different preserves and then rolled in powdered sugar. They are very popular in Russia and are fairly easy to make. My mother makes these delicious, soft, and flaky cookies all the time. I actually tried to search for this recipe online and could not find a similar one. They all seem like they add so many ingredients and then they don't taste the same. This recipe is super easy to make and don't require many ingredients. These cookies are eaten up as soon as I make them, they melt in your mouth!



Start out by making the dough, which is very simple. Take 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz) and 1/2 cup butter. I usually double these and make a bigger batch. In a mixer beat together softened butter and cream cheese unit it's nice and fluffy and whipped. Then gradually add flour. I don't usually measure the flour so I add in enough so it doesn't stick to the sides but does not crumble. I usually take out the dough when it's still a little sticky and knead the dough (on floured surface) until it no longer sticks to my fingers. You got that right only 3 ingredients for the dough! Cream cheese, butter, and flour!


I then roll out the dough very thin but not too thin where it's transparent. I slightly cover the rolling pin with flour so it won't stick. After I have a somewhat nice circle, I cut it like a pizza!





Then, add preserves to each section and sprinkle it with sugar. I usually put apricot but you can put whatever you like. I sometimes use fig or strawberry. Roll the crescents starting at the wide section and rolling it downwards. 

Butter a cookie sheet pan and add the crescent pieces in rows.

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 20min. I usually keep an eye on them and when they get golden brown I take them out so I am not sure about the time.

No comments: